I am like the wind, I never stay still and blow in many directions. This girl is always exploring new ways to be creative.
I am currently on a kick, using the barn wood from my shed tear down to make lots of projects at the homestead. This weekend I wanted to make a bed for my extra room, it currently had a bedframe and mattress only. I was not looking for a fancy design, just a simple rustic one would do just fine. I measured the bed and remembered to add a few extra inches for wiggle room. I cut the pieces to size and started my sanding. As I wanted this rustic I did not plane the boards, just made sure they fit closely without too much gap. I sanded and sanded till there was no splinters waiting for someone to come along. As you know the more you sand, the smoother it gets and loses it’s great charm, so I set out to add that charm back in.
I did it with this lovely tool, this tool is NOT for the faint of heart, it will take your hand off if you are not careful. Twisted wire cup brush. Gnarly!
After distressing it sufficiently with the twisted wire brush, I re-sanded to take the high edges off and then assembled. Now I will be honest I wanted this to be a lot lighter but I had not received in my Briwax light pine color in yet, grrrrr, and I wanted this project done this weekend. So I changed my plans and went with what I had. I am NOT a patient crafter!
After adding several coats of wax, I buffed and buffed for an understated sheen. Looked pretty good but needed to stand back and really take it in. Much darker than I planned but it really worked well with the flooring. It grounded the bed.
I really had in mind using rope to add interest not sure how I wanted to do it, just that I wanted to do it. I drilled holes evenly on both sides and weaved the rope through the holes and anchored them on the back side. I really liked it but felt it needed something. Something in the middle. I thought I could add a dark wax/stain design, which would work great as I would not have to sand what I had already done.
I am a huge fan of primitive country style so I was on the hunt for a design that would work. The jumping rabbit caught my eye immediately on Pinterest. I copied the design, taped off the area and stained.
Here are the results of the finished headboard.
Picture to follow of the bed dressed as soon as I have time to sew the pillows and add the frame around the mattress. It is going to be great!